LMA

Charles Brault c_brault at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 07:20:44 BST 2006

Indeed the ET tube is a better beast than the LMA
  And the LMA better than the combitube

  But you have to examine the context
  - The Combitube does not need to be tied down
  - His impossible to displace
  - Requires less finess
  - Is more error proof (vital)
  - Allows for decompression of the stomach

   For those reasons

  The combitube is best for BLS EMS & low volume clinic
  It is also perfectly acceptable in ALS EMS (high & low end)
  It remains an excellent Plan B for all others on a relatively equal par with the LMA

  Charles

"Christopher Clarke (CMDHB)" <Chris.Clarke at middlemore.co.nz> wrote:
  Hi,

I am an ODP aka Anaesthetic Technician From the Uk, now working in New Zealand.

To prevent risk of aspiration when using LMA, and them getting pushed out, you can use the portex version. Double cuffed, with aspiration tube....and the best bit...they cost the same as the LMA Classic!! (Or they should do if your organisation isnt been ripped off)

Portex LMA's are good, in trauma situations but can have a few user diffuclty issues - i:e double cuffed and the red valve...a lot of people forget to close this valve and therefore get a leak.... also becuase the portexs arent used a whole lot people dont like them becasue they are not familiar with them but they are a brilliant device.

Regards