LMA

HAXScott at aol.com HAXScott at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 21:50:10 BST 2006

Jules,

A few other places that I'm aware of allow Combitube use by EMT-B's as a
primary airway, which is well-supported by the evidence.

Cautious anecdote: While I'm with you on the "never seems to wind up in the
trachea..." there are studies that describe up to 10% rate of tracheal
placement, and further, I'm aware of a terrifying tale of a man who arrived  pretty
dead into the resus bay with a Combitube in his throat. The crew was
ventilating through Port "#1" while the Combitube tube was actually seated in  the
trachea. This is analgous to an unrecognized esophageal intubation with a
regular ETT.

IMHO: ETCO2 and/or EDD use ought to be mandated for anyone using the
Combitube as a rescue airway. Both will work.

Scott Hax
Lebanon NH