"cooling catheter"

William Bromberg brombwi1 at memorialhealth.com
Tue Apr 4 20:57:11 BST 2006

I have a minimal experience with the Alsius catheter (5 patients). We started using it based on the oh-so-scientific theory that a temp of 104F can't be good for an injured brain (some animal data, no real human data). We've learned a couple of things. 1. The femoral line works a lot better than the subclavial but has a high rate of DVT assoc. with it (bigger catheter). 2. We have no idea when to take them out (probably because there are no parameters as when to put them in).

Yes, they can be used to warm people up. We had a near drowning come in at 84F and threw one in. It worked fairly rapidly (nothing like the AV  rewarming on the level 1 though.

Regards,
Bill

William J. Bromberg
Savannah Surgical Group