LMA

Marty Munro marty_munro at yahoo.ca
Tue Apr 4 00:12:59 BST 2006

I'm a paramedic near Toronto Canada. I work in an urban service and rural service, and we use the LMA's in the rural service.  We only use them on adult VSAs as we don't intubate in that service.  Some people like them and some don't. I like them because up in the rural areas, sometimes we do not get the fire department attending our calls and therefore we may have to one person CPR for 25-30 mins.  With the LMA, we can attach our ventilator to it and it at least makes CPR easier. The main complaint people have is that if the patient vomits, the LMA tends to get forced out and then needs to be removed in order to suction the patient.

  Marty Munro
  AEMCA, PCP

jkaymdc at aim.com wrote:

I really would just like some feedback. How many hospitals use LMAs
in their ED
and what is the opinion on them.

Thanks for your time,

Priscilla Smith, RN
--
We do not use them in the ED. They are used constantly in the OR, which
is loved by anesthesia. To much risk of asperation in the ED with

Jules

Julie K. Scadden, NREMT-P, PS