"cooling catheter"

rwolfer at aol.com rwolfer at aol.com
Mon Apr 3 21:08:19 BST 2006

Does anyone have any experience with the new "cooling catheter".  A rep showed up in my ICU and has all the nurses convinced that this is the best thing since sliced bread.  It is basically a big stiff central line ( expensive) that flushes Iced saline over the blood and contents of the line.  I have several problems with it, including that the stiffness of the line has injured vessels, the company does not seem to think a torn IJ is a problem.  The cost is high.  "Cold fluid" on the heart is not a good thing as it can induce arrhythmias. Also according to the head of ID at our institution, cold fluid and cooling blankets do not work and can make things worse.  I just would like to hear if anyone has any experience with them before I agree to it.  I am currently against it as I do not think it is worth the cost or potential harm .  Thanks

Rebecca Wolfer, MD, FACS, FCCP
Associate Professor, Marshall University School of Medicine
Dept of Surgery
Director Thoracic Surgery
Director, Surgical Critical Care Cabell Huntington Hospital
Director, Trauma Cabell Huntington Hospital