the history of ATLS and trauma care

Bjorn, Pret pbjorn at emh.org
Mon Apr 3 14:01:08 BST 2006

Google "R Adams Cowley."

In high school, I read a book called "Shocktrauma" (Jon Franklin, Alan
Doelp; St. Martin's Press, 1980), which made a big impression on me at the
time, and probably subconsciously steered me to trauma.  It's a history of
MIEMSS and Baltimore Shocktrauma (the prototype North American Trauma
Center) with plenty of human interest melodrama thrown in.  The book is a
compilation of newspaper articles which won a Pulitzer for series
journalism.  Interesting (if dated) info on the Golden Hour, 911 systems,
helicopter EMS, and trauma surgery.  You can still find it on Amazon.

Pret Bjorn, RN
Bangor, ME USA