Warfarin and head injury/Protein C

claudia glamourcv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 07:06:56 BST 2006

Joe,

Warfarin might induce skin necrosis in such patients and severe
paradoxal thrombosis - I had one case like that before.
How is her coagulation profile? protein C activity? PT? ATIII? protein
S level? vitamin K dependent coagulation factors? Does her protein C
levels respond to vitamin K administration? Vitamin K deficiency is a
cause of protein C deficiency too, as well as neoplasias.
Has she been submitted to an APC resistance assay?Was she tested for
factor V laten and prothrombin mutations? What about antiphospholipid
and anticardiolipin antibodies? Are her factor VIII and IX levels
elevated?
Also, fibrinolysis markers are elevated? TAT, fibrin degradation
products, fragment 1+2, D dimer? This is important to see if she is
actively forming clots.

Regarding warfarin therapy: I would not start it with low protein C levels.
I would give her protein C concentrates or start it with prophylactic LMWH doses
A common protein C concentrate administration protocol is a test dose
at 10 IU/kg; follow by a bolus (100 IU/kg) and then as continuous
infusion (10-15 IU/kg/h), adjusted to give a protein C level of 80-120
IU/mL - this is safe enough to initiate warfarin therapy.

My 2 brazilian worthless cents.

claudia