Toradol

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at gettcomm.com
Sat Apr 1 21:13:28 BST 2006

Another anecdotal recollection--well, anecdotal after I reviewed the
chart; I don't remember much of the time in the SICU.

I had a CABG in 1994 at Georgetown, and the stepdown analgesic
protocol in the SICU went from titrated opioids to Toradol.  Their
practice, at the time, was to give an initial 3X loading dose, and
then the conventional Toradol dose, with Percocet po, decreasing the
Toradol until I could stay on Percocet. Has anyone else encountered
the practice of a loading dose?  I asked my surgeon, who sent one of
the cardiac anesthesiologists to visit, and asked about the practice
-- he swore by it, but said that as far as he knew, it had not been
reported in the literature.

The only significant complication was total destruction of my left
auditory nerve, which already had about 20% loss from a childhood
heatstroke. I'd still tend to think that was caused by a random
embolus that didn't land some place more critical.