toradol...reply to Pret et al...

joe.nemeth at staff.mcgill.ca joe.nemeth at staff.mcgill.ca
Sun Apr 2 05:04:02 BST 2006

here my beef against Keto:

-relative risk (RR) value for GI side effects: Ibuprofen 2.1...Keto:24.7

Rodriguez G et al, Risk of Hospitalization for Upper Gastrointestinal
Tract Bleeding Associated With Ketorolac, Other Non-Steroidal
Anti-inflammatory Drugs, Calcium Antagonists, and other
Antihypertensive drugs. Arch Intern Med, 1998; 158: 33-39.

-It is not considered an antiinflammatory medication it is mainly an
analagesic...perhaps an antipyretic...
Houry D, Ernst A, Weiss S, et al,  Ketorolac Versus Acetaminophen for
Treatment of Acute Fever in the Emergency Department, South Med J.
1999;92:1171-1173

Held BI, et al, The effect of ketorolac on postoperative febrile
episodes in patients after abdominal myomectomy, Am J Obstet Gynecol
2002; 187(6): 1450-1455

-there is no adequate literature-based evidence to support the routine
or even frequent use of ketorolac for acute pain in the ambulatory
setting (post-op maybe different story) Come on Pret, you can recognize
the papers written to date on renal colic for example tend to use a
straw-man (inadequate) dose of a narcotic agent as the control . It is
too high in both clinical and monetary costs, while no evidence
demonstrates it offers any benefit over oral ibuprofen.

now I don't want to sound dogmatically negative about this drug, but
prior to use think of alternatives

...boy what a headache you guys gave me, let me go and pop a diclofenac

Joe

--
Dr. Joe Nemeth
Assistant Professor