trauma transfer

Krin135 at aol.com Krin135 at aol.com
Tue Oct 25 00:32:00 BST 2005

In a message dated 24-Oct-05 18:08:33 Central Daylight Time, Nappio at aol.com

It seems  once again on the Gulf Coast of Florida I have to pull teeth to
a patient to a trauma center.

Am I incorrect in wanting to transfer  an 84 y/o female with severe
osteoporosis who after a non-syncopal  fall sufferred an unstable pelvic
fracture  with
at least two breaks  of the left iliac wing associated with the SI joint,
associated  large pelvic hematoma, labile sbp(80-100) and tachycardia?? Her
hgb  stabilized at 9.5,, but I am at a small community hospital with no ICU
housestaff and no angiography/embolization available and to top it off,,  the
orthopod "feels uncomfortable" managing the patient.

Fortunately she is stabilizing, am I wrong to want her at a facility  where
they could more readily deal with her situation if she were  to

nope...I'm in much the same situation, and would want her to a major center
ASAP as well.
Charles S. Krin, DO FAAFP