trauma transfer

Nappio at aol.com Nappio at aol.com
Tue Oct 25 00:07:43 BST 2005

It seems once again on the Gulf Coast of Florida I have to pull teeth to  get
a patient to a trauma center.

Am I incorrect in wanting to transfer an 84 y/o female with severe
osteoporosis who after a non-syncopal fall sufferred an unstable pelvic fracture  with
at least two breaks of the left iliac wing associated with the SI joint,  with
associated large pelvic hematoma, labile sbp(80-100) and tachycardia?? Her
hgb stabilized at 9.5,, but I am at a small community hospital with no ICU
housestaff and no angiography/embolization available and to top it off,, the
orthopod "feels uncomfortable" managing the patient.

Fortunately she is stabilizing, am I wrong to want her at a facility where
they could more readily deal with her situation if she were to  deteriorate???

Dave nap.