Colloid infusion in the trauma patient

oded private tangentcarrot at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 24 20:11:39 BST 2005

I think that some clarifying needs to be done-

I wasn't the one who teaching that class- I was present there as a viewer,
in order to write down comments regarding the contents taught.
It's a class in which the trainees are initially exposed to concepts behind
fluid resuscitation, and are told that there are crystalloids (under their
authority to administer) and colloids (which they are clearly not allowed to
administer). They are explained superficially about the mechanism behind
their therapeutic action, and it provoked some question (that didn't
actually regarded their current use in the trauma world). I did have the
answers to these questions, and I gave them to their instructor later.
Following this, I have decided to make my own research- for the knowledge to
be there, not to be given in class (unless someone asks, then any instructor
that doesn't have an answer could come to me and ask). Frankly, I found
virtually nothing in the trauma literature, so I asked you guys. I'm not
going to teach that to the medics, but if anyone asks, I'd like to be able
to answer him.

You wrote-
More questions?  Try honesty: "I really don't know, and truly never needed
>to."

Actually, I find it to be a respectful answer. But if I give it to someone,
I like to then go find the answer, and give it to him if he's still
intrested.