Colloid infusion in the trauma patient

oded private tangentcarrot at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 24 15:14:13 BST 2005

First, I's like to thank you both for your pashionate intrest in medical
education not directly regarding you and your concerning answers (and I'm
truely not being cinical. I do deeply appreciate it).

Second, I do agree with your line of thinking- I too find myself from time
time (at least once a week) debating with instructors about the need to
teach something- I usually claim that only what is rellevant directly to the
practice and is mandatory to know to give treatment should be taught.
However, we do teach them about procedures and treatments they are not
authorized to perform- such as intubation, becuase they do need to assist
the doctor in performing them (have the rellevant equipment ready once the
doctor orders, perform MICI, serve the doctor the equipment under sterile
technique and so on). You can not teach that to them without explaining
"Intubation is a... performed when..."
Moreover, I believe that if you have had the chance of having such a new
trainee asking a question that is truely an exception to what he has to
know, you too think that just telling him "there is no need for you to know
that" is not the best answer, don't you think?