[ccm-l] Disaster medicine curriculum

Gustavo E. Flores gflores911 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 05:41:52 BST 2005

We take it for granted that serious revisions need to be made. Nonetheless,
there are certain elements considered common ground that will need to be
addressed no matter what. These will always include hazardous materials,
bioterrorism, urban search and rescue, etc. I am looking AT LEAST for that.
Hopefully Dr. Wax can bring to us some interesting material.

I wouldn't say that we have NOTHING at all. While I do agree with Dr.
Alejandro Baez, IMHO, disaster medicine should be more than EMS. Again, it's
a starting point, but it does not address many other issues about disaster
medicine such as, but not limited to, what Dr. Mattox mentioned. Many EMS
jurisdictions throughout the states are complaining that the federal
government is paying more attention to the fire service and USAR teams on
how to prepare and respond to disaster events while at the same time leaving
EMS awfully unprepared and unequipped to adequately respond. For example,
FEMA did not included EMS or volunteer EMS services as eligible for the
federal grants. Although I am not 100% sure right now, I believe this
already changed after some struggle on behalf of national organizations such
as the National Association of EMTs. In fact, one of the main issues right
now is whether EMS should have a separate office at the federal level in
order to be able to improve this situation. So, I think we should aim
higher. Although some residencies may have the exclusive benefit of working
with a highly advanced EMS system with access to truly disaster medicine
resources, most of the EMS services do not have this. It would be a
disservice to all residents to expect that only a rotation in EMS will
suffice to be exposed to a fair level of disaster medicine. So, in essence,
there is always room for improvement.

There is no such thing as a clearinghouse for what should be covered in EM
for disaster preparedness, and for that matter, all other areas around a
unified approach (which of course includes surgery). At least I can't find
any over the net that focuses on anything besides hazmat. Anybody here on
the ACEP's Disaster Medicine section list? Perhaps they do have this
clearinghouse or a starter document. By doing so, some common ground can be
established. If I am thinking about this, probably others already met and
produced a document about it. I am not interested in reinventing the wheel,
but in spinning it faster.

Gustavo E. Flores Bauer, BS EMT-P
MS II Iberoamerican University School of Medicine

 <http://www.emergencyteam.net/> www.emergencyteam.net (web site)
 <mailto:gustavo at emergencyteam.net> gustavo at emergencyteam.net (primary
e-mail)

(809) 309-9779 RD
(787) 630-6301 PR
Skype Username: gflores911
Alternate Messenger E-mail:  <mailto:gustavoflores911 at hotmail.com>
gustavoflores911 at hotmail.com

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to
change the ones I can, and wisdom to know the difference. - San Francisco de
Aziz

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great
moral crises maintain their neutrality." - Dante Alighieri

"In science, evidence means everything, authority means nothing. The largest
amount of scientific eminence cannot trump the smallest amount of scientific
evidence" - Paul Lutus

This e-mail, along with any attachment it may contain, is addressed
exclusively to the person or institution it has been sent to, and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the
recipient, please do not read, copy, reproduce or distribute it, nor use it
in any way. You are formally notified that any action of said nature is
strictly forbidden. If you receive this e-mail in error, please eliminate it
from your computer and immediately notify sender through a reply message.

  _____