[ccm-l] Earthquake and other disasters of this year

KMATTOX at aol.com KMATTOX at aol.com
Sun Oct 23 19:11:49 BST 2005

In a message dated 10/23/2005 1:02:56 PM Central Standard Time,
arthurmorgan2 at gmail.com writes:

As I  have said a few times in USA the Search and Rescue people have been
doing  this for many years.
I admit that there are few Trauma Surgeons in the dog  (K9 ) and other
rescue Teams, but despite that they do know what they are  doing. Just as
important as this they know what their neighbours are  doing.
Many operate under FEMA 100, 200, 700 standards and similar or  derived
standards, but here too they seem to work and are working hard to
improve the standards. Obviously from the other side of the world I may
be getting the wrong idea, but when in doubt approach the professionals
who work in a system.

I am terribly sorry, but I could not disagree more.   I do not  believe from
what I have experienced, and what I have learned from my colleagues  around
the world, that there is very good communication between the  "professionals" at
the top level, including the doctors in the public health  sector at the
central governmental level and the LOCAL incident  command.    The agendas are
completely  different.     The "professionals" of which you speak, may  make a
decision which is completely wasteful and in opposition to a local plan,
program, and activity.     Search and Rescue is one  thing,   Disaster management is
totally a different issue.    DMAT teams are present in the Louisiana area
and have been since shortly after  Katrina hit.   The local doctors in New
Orleans and Baton Rogue do not  know of their role, existence, and are not
cooperating in wht the local people  think is best.     Even if the federalized
volunteer outside  doctors have a better plan, it is not communicated to those who
are working in  the local hosptials.     BIG PROBLEM.   The  communications
problem is not for lack of radios and telephones, it is that the  greatest
medical asset in aiding the local population is often totally boxed out  of
involvement for a long list of political and economic  reasons.