Earthquake and other disasters of this year

KMATTOX at aol.com KMATTOX at aol.com
Sun Oct 23 18:49:03 BST 2005

We have seen far too many challenges to our concepts of "disaster" this
year.    Tsunami, London Subway, Baghdad and surrounds, car  bombings in
Israel/Palestine, Katrina/Rita, Earthquakes in Kashmire,  Afghanistan, Pakistan, Wilma
in Mexico, and others.

Many, many categories of concerns and echonomic challenge  exist.

Rescue, Evacuation, Triage, Communications,  Sanitation, Supply,
Communication, Sterility, Record keeping, Imaging, Command, Authority,  Credentiallying,
Volunteers, Communication, Control, Leadership, International  Borders,
Safety, Immediate medical care, Post traumatic stress (among victims  and rescuers),
relocation, housing, food, water, clothing, shelter  management.   security,
communication,  regulations, outside  interference, Inside interference,
unused supplies, supplies which are unusable,  etc. etc. etc. etc.

Whether we debate top down or down up management, it is obvious that the
challenges of terrorism, war, mass casualty, disaster, overwhelm,
inaccessability, have many different and many similiar management  challenges.   Many on
this list server have made significant  contributions to the many health issues
of such disasters.   However,  one issue remains is that our collaborative
networks are rudimentary.  It  is also obvious that governments have the
management role in organization,  rescue, management and supervision.

I have gone back to our disaster manuals, training, drills, and textbook
chapters and find that organized medicine, organized surgery, and organized
critical care are a long way from understanding just how disaster  management is
structured.   It has also become very obvious to me  that much of the higher
echelons of disaster policy (both governmental,  organizational, and regulatory
agency) is politically and economically motivated  and does very little
correlation at the LOCAL operational  level.

We as physicians MUST insenuate ourselves into the public health planning
and incident control of local disasters to optimize our integrated
collaborative network efforts.

I am extremely complimentary of the many efforts of individuals who have
traveled far in order to help those in need.     However, I  do not believe that
we have a good handle on how to optimize our efforts and  craft.