Trauma, continuing care

Ronald Gross Rgross at harthosp.org
Fri Oct 21 12:06:00 BST 2005

PS - the Zion case had nothing to do with fatigue, but rather with (1)a resident who wasn't on any more than half an 8 hour shift and gaver a verbal order for medications for a patient she was too lazy to go and see, and (2) a grieving father who sought to place blame on everyone else, forgetting that his daughter had a hand in her own demise.  Sorry to sound so callous, but facts are facts.

>>> thoran at sarah.br 10/20/2005 3:11:20 PM >>>
Dear Sheila,

What motivates your question?

It does not have an easy general answer. The definition is probably better left to the individual practitioner or service or hospital to decide since it has more to do with the practical capabilities, interest, and admin structure within each environment.

What the Libby Zion case of over 20 years ago has to do with a definition of acute trauma versus post acute on going care is beyond understanding. As you undoubtedly already know, the Zion case was about demerol administered to a patient on MAO inhibitors by a resident on his 23rd hour of continuous service. The patient  died of respiratory failure. Apart from the proven malpractise, Libby Zion's father a lawyer and part time editorialist / commentator for the NY Times managed to get a grand jury investigation into working hours of residents. The judgement that came from this  is responsable for moderating resident work loads to 80 hours / week. Two decades later the results of this case still grate on the sensibilities of the John Wayne types in surgery. You remember "aaah maanz gotda do   whadah maanz gotda do".

The individual responsibilities were decided at the lawsuit. The hidden structural causes were in part addressed by the grand jury. The wide base upon which such adverse outcomes are "achieved" are much greater in importance than the sharp point of one case and its media hype. Basing your arguments on the details such controversial cases such as the Zion case  does little to illuminate structural problems within the system. The argument continues today and in large part underpins much of K´s medical political commentary.

 The topics of continuity of care, medical malpractise, methods of payment, hours of service, and service structures are one thing. The definition of acute or emergency trauma versus chronic care is another. In Ken's world the doc you get in the ER is the one who stays with with you until HE decides to quit. Fortunately this Marcus Welby paternalisstic model of care is almost dead.

Good luck in getting your answer, you might try a list dedicated to medical administation.

Yours truly

Tom Horan