Trauma, continuing care

KMATTOX at aol.com KMATTOX at aol.com
Thu Oct 20 02:20:21 BST 2005

Sheila:   I am still of the opinion that a surgeon and a service  that
accepts a patient and admits that patient to the ICU, hospital bed or  operates upon
them has TOTAL responsibility for that patient during that  hospitalization,
until another physician, (NOT A TEAM) accepts the  responsibility for that
patients health problems.   The surgeon might  get someone to consult on problems
that the surgeon believes are beyond her/his  capability, but the admitting
doctor did take on the responsibility when the  patient was admitted.   We do
not practice medicine by a clock  punching team.   The patient wants one
doctor.   You did not  ask about an obstetrician who might start a delivery, only to
hand off to  another in the middle of a delivery because her/his shift is up
and therefore  their responsibility is over.

Continuity is in order.   The Libby Zion case was all about loss  of
continuity of care, not fatigue.