ER Thoracotomy

Hall, John R John_R_Hall at Wellmont.org
Tue Oct 18 21:51:32 BST 2005

--In an  attempt to save the patient, we have had several brain dead patients who have gone on for organ  donation.  Thus I believe that other than obvious dead, should try

---Original Message-----
From: trauma-list-bounces at trauma.org on behalf of KMATTOX at aol.com
Sent: Fri 10/14/2005 8:49 PM
To: trauma-list at trauma.org
Subject: Re: ER Thoracotomy
In a message dated 10/14/2005 7:47:03 PM Central Standard Time,
jnoldscarmaker at yahoo.com writes:

In what  situations do you think ER thoracotomy is  futile??

1.    Obviously dead patient
2.    Most cases of blunt trauma in a non trauma center  where there is no
3.    Most cases of extrathoracic trauma and cardiac  arrest
4.    Broad sine wave cardiac rhythm
5.     Non survival CNS injury
6.    Non presence of a surgeon knowledgable in knowing  technique