Level I versus Level II

Don Benson bensonblues at comcast.net
Mon Oct 17 17:11:30 BST 2005

No, I didn't see that article, but I'll bet he is affiliated with an ACS
designated Level I center. Andy is being kind in pointing out the author's
conclusion is "bold". My experience is that only roughly 15% of those with
penetrating chest trauma need thoracotomy, and most are effectively treated
with tube thoracostomy, volume replacement, and occasionally temporary
airway support if needed. Further, (and I would need the collaboration of my
surgical colleagues here), I suspect the need for extracorporeal perfusion
is rarely needed even if thoracotomy is required.

The danger in following this author's recommendation is many would be placed
in harm's way unnecessarily for want of a chest tube, moderate volume
replacement, and observation.

Don Benson, DO, FACEP
Emergency Medicine
St. John Hospital