Post-splenetomy immunizations

mike christensen christensenmike at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 15 19:39:52 BST 2005

As an inner-city Level I Trauma Center, our patients are often non-compliant following discharge.  We often lose patients to follow-up, especially with blunt trauma to the chest or abdoment.  We are now immunizing post-splenectomy patients (fortunately these aren't common) prior to discharge, although efficacy with this practice isn't clear.  I'd like to hear
what practice patterns are in place in similar Trauma Centers.
M Christensen
San Francisco General Hospital

Mike Christensen RN, MS, ACNP

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail message, including any
attachments, is for the sole use of intended recipient(s) and may
contain confidential and protected information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not
destroy all copies of the original message