Level I versus Level II

Andrew J Bowman sumieb at compuserve.com
Sat Oct 15 10:11:59 BST 2005

Dr. Mattox,

A while back we had this similar discussion and your response to acute
CPB for penetrating chest trauma was (and I quote)

"I know of NO class I, II or even III evidence which supports
cardiopulmonary bypass for thoracic trauma. NONE. ZILCH."..."We have
repaired virtually every lesion in the chest WITHOUT the pump with
results that are equal to, if not superior to those benchmarked in the
world."

Has your opinion changed?

Andrew Bowman