LICOX

Guy Jackson r.g.m.jackson at qmul.ac.uk
Thu Oct 13 18:00:23 BST 2005

Karim,

What about the concept of the oxygen cascade?

As to your conclusions from the second paper, I fully agree. I think in
years to come we will see the introduction of multiple modes of monitoring,
and us diagnosing secondary insults from the patterns generated as much as
specific numbers just like a clinical examination. I believe Urban Ungersted
has already set up a data base at the Karolinska to look into this for
microdialysis. We may then progress to identifying the activities of
specific cell types, particularly the glia. The view from the lab is that
these cells have all sorts of roles in regulating brain function. How about
astrocytes controling the calibre of the vascular bed via a prostinoid based
pathway? I saw the poster at a meeting in July 2001.

Cheers,

Guy