[ccm-l] Management People, Principles, Policies, Issues(Formerly Disaster)

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at gettcomm.com
Wed Oct 12 22:36:33 BST 2005

At 3:02 PM -0400 10/12/05, docrickfry at aol.com wrote:
>These are good questions and important issue to investigate for any
>local community in assessing their disaster response planning--the
>textbooks are both much more up to date and address some of the
>methods of communications to set up in disasters.  A number of
>different types have been set up--in Connecticut a web-based system
>of real time communications has been set up statewide that functions
>well as determined in the recent TOPOFF 3 exercise--power outages
>can affect this tho (paper is in Dec 2003 J Trauma)..

I'm more familiar with TOPOFF 2. Assuming TOPOFF 3 also used DMIS
software, which continues to be extended, that software introduces
alternative ways of working that may be useful.  For example, an
early version let an incident command staff send out requests for
resources -- air tanks for fire operations, tents, fluoroquinolones,
etc.  There's a newer version that is vaguely similar to eBay, in
that it presents the requester with messages from the agencies
offering help.  This is much less labor-intensive than phoning each
potential source.

There are nuances to maintaining power. Of course, in Katrina, we saw
cases where generators were on lower floors of structures and were
flooded. Building codes can get complex with emergency power, as
there are some restrictions on large battery banks on upper floors,
due to the danger of caustic electrolyte leaks in fires--there are
workarounds.

If your generators are outside and it's other than a very crime-free
area, it's very wise to keep an extra battery inside, on a trickle
charger. While a generator is too big to steal, starting batteries
are not. I've known of several critical communications systems go
down because they couldn't start the generator because the battery
had been pilfered.

New York financial district communications providers made lots of
emergency preparations, such as having a week's worth of diesel fuel
onsite and preplanned deliveries, coordinated with the city, of
additional fuel. On 9/11, however, many generators quit after 24-48
hours, with plenty of available fuel. The unforeseen problem was
dust: it clogged the air filters and no one had spare filters. Given
the low cost of air filters, having spares on site is a good idea,
considering there are potential sources of large amounts of dust
besides major building collapse: large forest fires, volcanic
eruptions, and possibly industrial accidents.

>Satellite phones have been touted but are limited in many ways,
>sometimes by the need for the receiving person to also have such a
>phone and who needs to be called cannot always be predicted in
>advance.  A simple dedicated land line not normally used and without
>a widely disseminated number (as these will be useless within a few
>minutes of an event), as long as phone lines are not destroyed.
>Cell phones are limited if the local towers also go down as happened
>in Manhattan in 9/11.  Assigning a special radio frequency for
>prehospital units to be used only in disasters is useful and
>successful in Israel.   HAM radio networks are among the most widely
>accepted forms to plan for in advance.

Chuck Krin has special expertise here.

>Any other ideas could certainly be useful to list members if you
>have more to offer with your background
>ERF

Anyone (in the US) with assigned emergency management
responsibilities should browse through the services at
http://www.ncs.gov, the National Communications System.  There are an
assortment of programs that variously make sure that predesignated
landline, and more and more cellular, phones get priority and will
get through when everyone else is getting fast busy. Some of these
systems also offer secure communications.  While it would be a
detailed engineering question, some priority cellular phones may be
able to talk to more distant towers.

If you are not in the US, there may be equivalent national programs.

In planning emergency operations centers, do consider if you will
ever get calls from outside your country. Many Internet Service
Providers made the mistake of publishing only a national toll-free
number, which cannot be dialed from outside the country.  This is a
worldwide problem.

Military and communications operations centers have learned that it
is extremely wise to have one or more television sets with local
antennas, for receiving news and weather information.

I'm blanking on the specific, but there was a post, IIRC to this
list, by a London nurse manager about improvising wall displays --
just markers on paper or plastic -- with shift changeover
information, personal care resources for staff, etc.

Local cable TV companies may have rugged interconnects separate from
the general residential case. Here in Northern Virginia, we have the
same company running several city/county franchises, with the
practical, as opposed to contractual, possibility of rerouting one
jurisdiction through another. A formal interconnection between
Alexandria City and Arlington County physical networks was just
announced, and one of the applications being considered is mutual
backup of the 911 dispatch centers.

Arlington, as part of the cable contract, also had a fiber optic
network dedicated for the county installed.  When municipalities are
allowing bids, this is a good resource to have included.