[ccm-l] Management People, Principles, Policies, Issues(Formerly Disaster)

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at gettcomm.com
Wed Oct 12 14:34:07 BST 2005

At 8:21 AM -0400 10/12/05, ken wrote:
>I have been aware of what has been available on the net.   I
>recently had the need to review what is in texts and on the net.   I
>am aware of differing perceptions of local and federal governments
>perceived roles during disasters.    I am very aware of the many
>medical and health needs and responses during any disaster.    One
>big problem is the disconnect between what is written,  what is
>perceived, and what really happens and what works and what does not.
>We have four huge disasters this last 8 months to analyze and more
>than 30 in the last 4 years to analyze.   I am amazed at the
>disconnects, the misinformation, and the wastes of personnel, money,
>supplies, and energies because of turf, politics, and lack of
>communication.
>
>We all can do much better.

I've been thinking of the mechanics of capturing the information on
what works and doesn't work, and simultaneously evolving our tools.
Have you had any ideas on how best to structure the data acquisition?

As a strawman, let me suggest beginning with some existing, written
doctrine on Incident Command System at levels from local to National
Response. At this level, one can look at various experiences
Management People Principles Policies Issues (Formerly Disaster), or
MP3IFD to be acronym rich, and record them under various ICS
policies.  In the process of the exercise, it will be likely that
certain real-world activities don't neatly fit under ICS doctrine,
which means that the doctrine needs to be updated.

Again as a strawman at the next level of detail, could the experience
be mapped to information management, as with DM-Services? Information
management, at this level, absolutely must include near-real-time
message flow (message, voice, video, etc.), real-time telemetry, and
both reference and statistical databases. It's again likely that the
existing software, even as a conceptual model, doesn't cover the
experience, and this should translate into new software requirements.

Below this level are tools and standard operating procedures.  An
example of the former are communications systems, mostly electronic,
with their applicability and their need for supporting
infrastructure.  I could easily start SOPs with some of your memos to
BTGH, as well as what you learned in practice -- such as the overuse
of family refuge intended primarily for single parents.

I am not wedded to any of the architectures, software, or procedures
mentioned above, but I see them as a starting point. Other starting
points are welcome.

Howard