Opinion on the list in regards to Lidocaine in head injury pre RSI

Don Benson bensonblues at comcast.net
Mon Oct 10 07:40:14 BST 2005

I have never believed lidocaine did anything but numb the administrator's
sensibility. Any ICU nurse who has watched a patient's ICP rise when they
suction the tracheal tube can tell you that the secret to preventing a rise
of ICP when intubating is deep and long paralysis. Thus, when intubating a
comatose head-injured patient, I use 20 mg of vecuronium and deeply paralyze
them before intubation. Occasionally (if they are posturing), I will wage a
receptor war and give some opiate, benzodiazepine, and H-1 blocker - it
slows the heart rate and decreases BP very gently.

Lidocaine is another one of those non-evidence-based things we do because
every one else does.

DB
bensonblues at comcast.net