this and that - Cervical Paranoia

Felix Albers felixalbers at terra.com.br
Mon Oct 10 04:48:30 BST 2005

Karim,

We are talking about different situations. I read an article recently that
states what you said, that in 10-15% of patients with spinal cord injury,
"secondary" spinal cord damage (mobilizing unstable cervicals with
unsuspected fractures) occurs. But we were considering a different clinical
picture: the alert patient, with no neurological deficit, but with midline
tenderness.

I agree that in the unconscious, intubated patient, without an adequate
neurological examination, we have to worry about ligamentous injuries. In
fact, such injuries can be pretty unstable. And I agree with the fact that
CT will show angulation, rotation and translation in those unstable spines.
And even if the spine seems to be aligned, there could be instability. But
the point is that no passive movement can compromise the canal more than the
initial insult. If the initial insult compresses the spinal cord, further
movement can increase the damage. If the initial insult does not damage the
cord, do you believe that head flexion by the nursing team washing the
patient´s head, for example, could do that?

But in the alert patient, without neuro deficit, a normal CT rules out
medullary compression risk. This is based on logic, not on evidence (just
like your statement). I guess this is the problem with those injuries. Try
to imagine an injured cervical spine, with ligamentous rupture. Can you
imagine a greater angulation of the spinal canal than the initial injury?
Even the cervical muscle spasm that comes with cervical injuries prevents
the anatomy from being disrupted.

Cheers,

Felix Albers.

HPS-POA