Fw: Removing the collar

DocRickFry at aol.com DocRickFry at aol.com
Sun Oct 9 19:25:49 BST 2005

In a message dated 10/9/2005 12:02:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
sumieb at compuserve.com writes:

for
> cross table c-spine.
>
> Gets read as normal by  EDP and/or radiologist.  Rad tech is told to remove
> the collar  for the AP and odontoid views but then to put the collar back
on
>  before coming back to ED.
>
> My position is that once the collar  is off why put it back on and if we
are
> putting it back on why are  we allowing it to be removed in the first
> place???
>
> Any  takers?
>
> Andrew Bowman

There seems to be a bit of confusion here--the c-collar should never be
removed from a patient with c-spine tenderness OR from one who is
unevaluable--ever.  See EAST guidelines--this is a completely agreed upon  consensus in the
literature, no controversy at all.  Imaging of any sort by  itself does NOT
clear the c-spine, only a phys exam showing no neck  tenderness can do that once
the x-rays are cleared.  One exception to that  is the prolonged unevaluable
patient, in whom there is no agreement, but many  now remove collar in that
instance when phys exam is impossible after a week or  more with a 90 degree
uprite film showing no instability after bone imaging is  normal.  Others use MRI
in that case
One other point--it is pretty clear now from every study on this topic in
the last 4 years, especially after a recent meta-analysis in the J of Trauma,
that plain films are on their way to obsolescence, if not there already for
those who have not yet gotten the message--you really should convert to CT for
radiologic imaging to exclude c-spine injury--as many as 50% of injuries are
missed by plain films.  This also goes for T and L spine evaluation.   Same
principles go for clearance of the collar, though.
ERF