Nasopharyngeal Airways

Erik Glassman trauma-list@trauma.org
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:07:18 -0400

I remember a case remember in J Trauma about 18 months ago clearly
demonstrating what can happen if an NPA is placed in a patient with a skull
fracture.  I know longer subscribe to J Trauma, so does anyone else have the
exact reference?

Erik

----- Original Message -----
From: <skip@c-d-m.com>
To: <trauma-list@trauma.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 11:34 AM
Subject: Nasopharyngeal Airways

I am teaching First Responders and a question has come up about the use of
nasopharyngeal airways with maxillofacial trauma. The PHTLS textbook (5th
Ed) is silent on the use of this device in the presence of facial injuries
(ie if this is a relative contraindication), and a quick review of the
literature on PubMed does not show any case reports or studies of glaring
problems with NPA with respect to cranial penetration, etc.

Does anyone have any comments on the NPA in the situation of maxillofacial
trauma with possible skull fracture (keeping in mind that First Responders
will not have the ability to intubate)?

Thanks,

Skip Tinnell, RN MSPH