Penetrating Chest Trauma & CPB

Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:37:56 EDT

--part1_ca.1ba7e533.2bdef934_boundary

In a message dated 4/28/2003 4:33:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
geehand@umkc.edu writes:

> That being said, why is a PUMP in the resource document for the optimal care
> of the trauma patient??

That is a very good question.   I have been asking that same question for 25
years.  Now having been rheortical, one does use a pump for some thoracic
aortic cases.   A few of these cases such as a blunt trauma ascending
thoracic aortic tear, some descending thoracic aortic injury, a rare aortic
arch injury, and some cases of acute massive pulmonary embolism (not trauma),
a pump is used.    We occassionally use a pump for a patient with
hypothermia.

My comments related to the subject of PENETRATING trauma.

--part1_ca.1ba7e533.2bdef934_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 4/28/2003 4:33:14 PM Central Daylig=
ht Time, geehand@umkc.edu writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">That being said, why is a PUMP=20=
in the resource document for the optimal care of the trauma patient??<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
That is a very good question.&nbsp;&nbsp; I have been asking that same quest=
ion for 25 years.&nbsp; Now having been rheortical, one does use a pump for=20=
some thoracic aortic cases.&nbsp;&nbsp; A few of these cases such as a blunt=
 trauma ascending thoracic aortic tear, some descending thoracic aortic inju=
ry, a rare aortic arch injury, and some cases of acute massive pulmonary emb=
olism (not trauma), a pump is used.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We occassionally use a=
 pump for a patient with hypothermia.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
My comments related to the subject of PENETRATING trauma. <BR>
<BR>
k</FONT></HTML>

--part1_ca.1ba7e533.2bdef934_boundary--