Penetrating Chest Trauma & CPB

Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:25:06 EDT

--part1_64.2f70a0cf.2bdeda12_boundary

Let us get this very straight.   The need for a PUMP in penetrating chest
trauma is so very rare as to be almost reportable.   In earlier years we
attempted to use the pump for may chest trauma problems.   Thinking back on
it, I know of only ONE case in my career, beginning in 1960 that benefited
from CPB.   It was a case of a SW to the chest with proximal LAD transection
upon whom we performed an immediate CAB after we put the patient on a
portable battery operated CPB in the EC and transported him to the OR.

I think I have probably managed as many penetrating injuries to the chest as
anyone on this list server.   There is NO logic to have a contengency plan
for an almost never occuring event, especially if that contengency is a pump
and that pump is more than 60 minutes from being available to be hooked up to
the  patient.

--part1_64.2f70a0cf.2bdeda12_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Let us get this very straight.&nbsp;&nbsp; The need fo=
r a PUMP in penetrating chest trauma is so very rare as to be almost reporta=
ble.&nbsp;&nbsp; In earlier years we attempted to use the pump for may chest=
 trauma problems.&nbsp;&nbsp; Thinking back on it, I know of only ONE case i=
n my career, beginning in 1960 that benefited from CPB.&nbsp;&nbsp; It was a=
 case of a SW to the chest with proximal LAD transection upon whom we perfor=
med an immediate CAB after we put the patient on a portable battery operated=
 CPB in the EC and transported him to the OR.&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
I think I have probably managed as many penetrating injuries to the chest as=
 anyone on this list server.&nbsp;&nbsp; There is NO logic to have a conteng=
ency plan for an almost never occuring event, especially if that contengency=
 is a pump and that pump is more than 60 minutes from being available to be=20=
hooked up to the&nbsp; patient.&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
k</FONT></HTML>

--part1_64.2f70a0cf.2bdeda12_boundary--