Penetrating Chest Trauma

Jeff Brosius trauma-list@trauma.org
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 08:04:59 -0400

At 10:59 PM 4/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Friday night, GSW to the chest, unstable and near arrest in the
>field.  medics drove right past the non bypass hospital to get to the
>hospital with bypass.  Patient died in the ER shortly after arrival.  (by
>the way, at 12 midnight, the cardiac suite is closed!)
>
>I have talked with EMS and their director until blue in face that there is
>no evidence that support driving past 1 ER to another just for the sake of
>"maybe" needing bypass (big maybe).  Most (far and away most) trauma
>patients will not need bypass and patient may die getting to the other place.
>
>Any suggestions for how to proceed?????
>
>Andrew J. Bowman, RN, CEN, CCRN, NREMT-P

Find out WHY the medics think that bypass will be needed for thoracic
trauma patients... teach them the truth, in a constructive, positive
manner, and offer to help them see the light.  Then request to be part of a
review committee, such as Pret suggested.

Also, this situation tells me they have some SERIOUS problems in the CQI
department.  That will be much harder to fix, I think... and I'm not sure
where you'd begin.

Not much help, I'm afraid.  To me, it sounds like an educational issue.

Best,

Jeff Brosius
Paramedic, etc.
Atlanta, GA
brosius@prehospitalperspective.com
http://www.prehospitalperspective.com
"...deliver them that are drawn unto death."
Proverbs 24:11 (NIV)