backboard

Michael Shuster trauma-list@trauma.org
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 13:10:18 -0600

Aidan,

There's lots of evidence that patients move on LBBs but is there ANY
evidence that it does anyone any harm to move as much as a LBB allows?   =
How
many million times do you think a LBB has been used over the past 20 =
years?
Is there even a case report of injury caused or suspected to have been
caused by excessive movement on a LBB?=20

Cheers,

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: trauma-list-admin@trauma.org [mailto:trauma-list-admin@trauma.org] =
On
Behalf Of Aidan Tasker-Lynch
Sent: April 26, 2003 06:54
To: trauma-list@trauma.org
Subject: Re: trauma-list digest, Vol 1 #1809 - 14 msgs

Dear Bjorn,

Sorry, but there have been repeated studies which clearly and definately =

show that LBB's do NOT adequately immobilize patients and yes, as far as =
I,m

concerned bad immobilization techniques have been perpetuated for many=20
years, causing goodness knows what damage.

The studies come from both sides of the Atlantic and I even repeated the =

immobilization studies with my group here in the Philippines - our =
results=20
were exactly the same as the other studies:

1.  Three and a half inches lateral movement with a variety of fairly=20
standard strapping procedures.

2.  Two and a half inches lateral shift even with the extreme stapping=20
methods.

I understand your point on cost, but picture the cost of spinal cord =
injury=20
to our patients and the health system aqnd shouldn't our first question =
be=20
"does it work" - if it doesn't (as in the case of the board) then no =
furter=20
inquiry is needed. - By the way your quotation of $ 900 is way out MDI's =
is=20
$350.00.

I would be more than pleased to copy you with some studies and you can =
share

them with your colleagues.

Please forward postal address to: aidanems@hotmail.com

Warmest Regards,