trauma-list digest, Vol 1 #1809 - 14 msgs

Aidan Tasker-Lynch trauma-list@trauma.org
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 15:53:37 +0300

Dear Bjorn,

Sorry, but there have been repeated studies which clearly and definately
show that LBB's do NOT adequately immobilize patients and yes, as far as I,m
concerned bad immobilization techniques have been perpetuated for many
years, causing goodness knows what damage.

The studies come from both sides of the Atlantic and I even repeated the
immobilization studies with my group here in the Philippines - our results
were exactly the same as the other studies:

1.  Three and a half inches lateral movement with a variety of fairly
standard strapping procedures.

2.  Two and a half inches lateral shift even with the extreme stapping
methods.

I understand your point on cost, but picture the cost of spinal cord injury
to our patients and the health system aqnd shouldn't our first question be
"does it work" - if it doesn't (as in the case of the board) then no furter
inquiry is needed. - By the way your quotation of $ 900 is way out MDI's is
$350.00.

I would be more than pleased to copy you with some studies and you can share
them with your colleagues.

Please forward postal address to: aidanems@hotmail.com

Warmest Regards,

Aidan.