No CPR Required

dr.tchardcastle trauma-list@trauma.org
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:33:58 +0200

Hi All

I recommend to all members of the list the article in the Journal of the
American College of Surgeons regarding prehospital withholding CPR (January
2003 and March 2003 erratum). A very timely and well thought out out
protocol, which is overdue in our litigious society. My compliments to all
concerned. Let us hope that futile care becomes less and rational use of
precious resources more!! At least now the prehospital provider has a peer
reviewed back-up to use in court!

Regards
Tim

Dr T C Hardcastle, MBChB, ATLS(Instr.), FCS(SA), MMed (Stell)
Trauma Consultant Surgeon
Diana, Princess of Wales Trauma Centre
Tygerberg Hospital
Dept. General Surgery
University of Stellenbosch, Cape Town, South Africa
Member: CMF, Trauma Soc SA, Critical Care Soc SA, Assn of Surgeons SA
SAMed Assn, Emerg Med Soc SA
Medical Advisor: ER24 Paramedic Services
Lecturer: University of Stellenbosch
Lecturer: Metro West Cape EMS College