C-spine clearance

Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:58:03 -0400

In a message dated 4/24/2003 8:25:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, mmcbridemd@yahoo.com writes:

> Now, you do mention concensus opinion, which is helpful. But are there data to demonstrate that this approach would be contraindicated? It seems as though the data about CT
> concludes no missed injuries - ligamentous or otherwise.

I am not aware of any studies or data indicating CT alone allows removal of collar--if you know of such could you share it with us?  All studies of which I am aware indicate that imaging is only a first step to excluding c-spine injury, not the final step. The only thing that allows "clearance" of the c-spine in the initial evaluation is no cervical spine tenderness on exam in an awake and responsive patient.
 Obviously there are still many holes in our knowledge of this, and still many issues persist, which is why so many protocols still exist
ERF