Appendicitis & CT

pedromtt meza trauma-list@trauma.org
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:13:02 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1596805989-1051157582=:9263

>From first hand experience, I would say CT.  In July of last year I was admitted because of abdominal pains, as far as I was concerned it was appendicitis, the surgeon on duty wanted to be sure so she order a CAT.  As I look back at that, there was a gentleman that was admitted about 1hour before I, with the same symptoms.  That same surgeon determine that his symptoms had been caused by an excess intake of alcohol, the CAT proved her right.  With me she did the same.  The difference was his breath.  Now there is a surgeon with sleuth abilities.  Moral to the story, in this business sometimes we have to gamble, but that is "sometimes."
Sgt Pedro Meza
Jorge Mirabelli <pandanas@OregonFAST.net> wrote:It is kind of obvious...
when the diagnosis is appendicitis a CT is not going to add much. You know
that is appendicitis.
Now, my question is, as a non surgeon, in a acute abdomen of non clear
etiology, what do you do? to CT or not CT?
Is it possible that an acute abdomen of difficult diagnosis can be the
expression of an appendicitis?
If the answer is yes, how do you diagnose that affection? simple and plain
laparotomy?

My apologies for my ignorance.
regards
JLAM