C-spine clearance

meredith mcbride trauma-list@trauma.org
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:08:33 -0700 (PDT)

--0-2063267544-1051146513=:97313

Ah, now our radiologists (and trauma surgeons) routinely use CT to clear a neck, even in the unevaluable or tender patient - stating that soft tissue injury (which is what is detected with MRI or flex/extension) is adequately detected on CT. Is there now data to the contrary?

DocRickFry@aol.com wrote:
3 views of the c-spine does NOT clear the c-spine by itself, which you seem to indicate.  If a patient is tender, or is unevaluable, the 3 views (or what is becoming increasingly clear, CT) is only the first step--the collar cannot be removed unless the patient is then documented to have no pain on passive AND active exam, or, if persisitently unevaluable or tender, an MRI or uprite flex-ex is normal.
ERF