C-spine clearance

Ronald Simon trauma-list@trauma.org
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:08:22 -0400

--------------000708040402030803070407

I am missing something here:

statement 1: the ATLS no longer advocates Xtable lateral c spine film

statement 2: You can clear the c-spine clinically, or with plain
films using 3 views

Aren't xtable laterals one of the 3 views?
Thanks
Ron

Avi Roy Shapira wrote:

>Dear Yoram,
>
>I don't know the source for the "current recommendation" to use a CT.
>however, the ATLS no longer advocates Xtable lateral c spine film. This is
>a useless study.  You can clear the c-spine clinically, or with plain
>films using 3 views, or with dynamic studies.
>
>Please provide the reference to the use of CT.
>
>Avi
>

> On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, yoram klein wrote:
>

>>Good day everybody,
>>I have a question regarding cervical spine clearance
>>in comatose trauma patients. The current
>>recommendation is to perform a c-spine CT for those
>>patients, since the plain cervical films are
>>inadequate.  Is there still a place for plain lateral
>>c-spine films in those cases? Can we gain any
>>information from the plain films that we can't obtain
>>from the CT? What are the guidelines in your ED?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Yoram Klein MD,
>>Hadassah medical center
>>Jerusalem, Israel

>Aviel Roy-Shapira, M.D.              Soroka University Hospital &
>Dept. of Surgery A. and              Ben-Gurion University Medical School
>the Critical Care Unit               POB 151, Beer Sheva, Israel
>
>email:avir@bgumail.bgu.ac.il         Fax:972-7-6403260 voice:972-7-6403390
>

>--
>trauma-list : TRAUMA.ORG

--------------000708040402030803070407

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
I am missing something here:<br>
<pre wrap="">statement 1: the ATLS no longer advocates Xtable lateral c spine film</pre>
<pre wrap="">statement 2: You can clear the c-spine clinically, or with plain
films using 3 views

Aren't xtable laterals one of the 3 views?
Thanks
Ron
</pre>
Avi Roy Shapira wrote:<br>
 cite=http://www.trauma.org/index.php/community/list/url/http:list.ftech.net/pipermail/trauma-list/2003-April/"midPine.OSF.4.21.0304232036030.26860-100000@sansana.bgu.ac.il">
  <pre wrap="">Dear Yoram,

[...]

Aviel Roy-Shapira, M.D.              Soroka University Hospital &amp;

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href=http://www.trauma.org/index.php/community/list/url/http:list.ftech.net/pipermail/trauma-list/2003-April/"email:avir@bgumail.bgu.ac.il">email:avir@bgumail.bgu.ac.il</a>         Fax:972-7-6403260 voice:972-7-6403390