Spine Immobilization

Jel Coward trauma-list@trauma.org
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 21:04:55 -0700

Can't resist the temptation to let you know what happens in Search and
Rescue in British Columbia (I moved here a couple of  years ago from the
UK). Our SAR team carry a full basket stretcher and a wooden long board
up the hill to the victim who then gets strapped to the said device)
Ok, it is padded with a thin layer of karrimat (foam) but even so this
strikes me as ridiculous.

I really could not believe that the guys were serious about this.  Why
they would want to carry this around, let alone the downside for the
patient, I really do not know.

I gently enquired about this and was told that it is the governmental
body (the  Justice Institute and Provincial Emergency Program).

Crazy or what?

Cheers
--
Jel Coward

The UK Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician  and Command Physician course is
9th-15th November 2003 at Glenmore Lodge, Aviemore, Scotland

http://www.wildmedic.org
http://www.wemsi.org

jel@wildmedic.org

'There's no such thing as bad weather - just bad  clothing"
                                                Anon Norwegian