Spine Immobilization

Jenny Moncur trauma-list@trauma.org
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:29:35 +1000

Gordon,
I think the difference between Australia (most states, anyway) and other=
 parts of the worl is that we are not bound by rigid protocols that must be=
 adhered to. We have Clinical Practice GUIDELINES. With regards to spinal=
 immobilisation, I agree with you that if there is an indication to=
 immobilise, the patient should be immobilised. Our Ambulance Medical=
 Officers do not dictate that all patients must be immobilised regardless=
 of clinical presentation, however. We have the option to immobilise,=
 transport in the position we see fit, or even clear in the field if we are=
 convinced there is no need for futher examination (NEXUS guidelines).

Where we are probably differing in our approach is via the means of=
 immobilisation. I am yet to be convinced, or find any studies that=
 suggest, that strapping a patient to a rigid spine board is the best or=
 only form of immobilisation. I may not have expressed myself clearly=
 enough previously on this point.

I do not find the rigid spine board to provide enough support, or stop all=
 movement of a patient in transit. Granted, we use it for extrication,=
 because it slides a patient out of cars, hallways, stairwells whatever.=
 BUT, if I have a walking patient, or one who has self extricated and has=
 no neuro signs but a good mechanism, I will use the other approach of=
 asking them to lay still on the stretcher.

As Andy pointed out earlier, it is merely a reminder to the patient that=
 they must lie still until we get them to hospital. It is not, strictly=
 speaking, immobilisation. If anyone can pooint me in the direction of=
 information that shows that this is a harmful practice, and contributes to=
 iatrogenic spinal injury, please do! I have not been able to find any=
 cases of iatrogenic injury following transport lying still on a stretcher,=
 but not strapped down.

Thanks for an interesting discussion
jenny