Spine Immobilization

Jenny Moncur trauma-list@trauma.org
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:14:39 +1000

Hi Steve,
Actually, I don't LIKE strapping anyone to a spine board, for exactly the=
 reasons you mention! Slipping and sliding is very common. Very few people=
 take all steps to minimise this, which includes removing all linen from=
 the stretcher before the board is placed on it.

Unfortunately, we do not, at this stage, have any other rigid=
 immobilisation devices on road cars, unless I can cadge a vaccuum mattress=
 from the chopper guys for a pre-arranged transport - eg, to a metro=
 hospital from a rural one. This is my preferred method of spinal=
 immobilisation, as it moulds to body contours, whatever the shape of the=
 body.

Is the Oregon like a KED? We have those - rarely used, though. Most are=
 quietly mouldering away in the back of cars. Your management sounds not=
 too different from what I, and many others in Vic do. Hospitals are not=
 too stressed by having to transfer with a pat slide and log roll. We=
 usually get the doctor to examine the patients back at this time, which=
 saves a further log roll later on.

Thanks for your 3 cents worth - it is all valuable input (unlike=
 suggestions I read a book to patients to make them comfy!)
Cheers
Jenny

On 18/04/03 at 1:20 AM Steve Wright wrote:

>Jenny,
>
>I note you like to strap to a spine board! Do you not have an Oregon or
>similar spinal immobilisation device in Victoria?
>
>We apply the device to the patient (with a collar as a given!) and log
>roll off the board once on the stretcher. We do not tape to stretcher
>and do not ever tape heads.
>
>OK hear all the US people balk already but body is immobilised in line
>with the neck to the hip region and friction of the body on a stretcher
>minimises (well can never stop even in a strapped patient!) movement of
>the patient.
>
>This provides a pointer to all involved including the patient some thing
>is wrong. In less injured patients, as in those walking and meeting
>exclusion criteria, we merely collar and load onto stretcher direst.
>
>Body straps on a spine board do as much as a kangaroo in an organised
>pub brawl! Sorry but the patient can and does move in them as the board
>is a superb sliding device and the body slides on it as they never are
>the 'exact' size for the straps to lock them in position!
>
>I admit transfer at the receiving hospital may be a problem with out the
>b board but a controlled log roll and slide board works a treat.
>
>Sorry just my 3 cents worth on this!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Steve Wright
>Intensive Care Paramedic