Spine Immobilization

Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:15:48 EDT

Jenny,

Maybe I'm missing something, but I still don't get the reasoning behind this
'soft immobilisation' in a patient with no obvious injuries or signs and
symptoms but a 'suggestive mechanism'. If the mechanism suggests the
possibility of an injury and you are still suspicious after an examination
which has found nothing significant then you do the full nine yards. If you
are happy to trust your examination findings then you do not. The point is
that you either immobilise or you don't. There is no in between.

Gordon McNeill
Scottish Ambulance College