Spine Immobilization

Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:06:25 +0100

I'm an EMT and  work in the Heathrow airport fire service in the UK. I have
worked with the LAS when a causality fell 25 feet. I wanted to place them
on the spine board, when the LAS arrived they stated that's not the
protocol now, due to patients being left to long in A&E. So they log rolled
the patient on to a scoop, WHY. If the problem is the time spent on the
board in A&E then that needs looking at. I the patient can be removed from
the board in A&E then that's the answer.

"Andrew J Bowman" <sumieb@compuserve.com>@trauma.org on 14/04/2003 15:10:44

Please respond to trauma-list@trauma.org

Sent by:  trauma-list-admin@trauma.org

From:     "Andrew J Bowman" <sumieb@compuserve.com>@trauma.org

To:  <trauma-list@trauma.org>
cc:

Subject:  Re: Spine Immobilization

Pret,

Yes, YES, YES!!!

I have been preaching this for some  time.

Once the patient gets to the ED, logroll  them carefully off of that
backboard (especially if you are having a real busy  day/night and the
patient may wait a while for x-rays).=A0 Their neck remains  immobilized in
the collar, they are more (slightly) comfortable laying on our 2  inch
thick ED cart mattress than the 1 inch thick wooden or plastic long board
and they are not yelling out every 2 minutes to "GET ME OFF THIS F'IN
THING"

Andrew Bowman
=A0 A  long board is NOT A TREATMENT; it is a TRANSPORT DEVICE.

The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the=20
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential=20
and / or privileged material.  If you are not the intended recipient=20
of this e-mail, the use of this information or any disclosure,=20
copying or distribution is prohibited and may be unlawful. =20

If you received this in error, please contact the sender=20
and delete the material from any computer. =20

BAA, the world's leading airport company - http://www.baa.com