Appendicitis & CT

Douglas Geehan trauma-list@trauma.org
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:53:30 -0500

>  To say the use of all CTs in acute AP is wrong is an overstatement.
> Ron Simon
> Dir of Trauma
> Jacobi Medical Center

I would agree with this statement; howver, we have been discussing the
use of CT for appendicitis (kind of neat since we're on the trauma-L; I
guess that answers the question about segregated trauma/ gen surgery
call...) specifically.  My personal view is that you request a CT when
you think the patient does not have appendicitis.  As I tell my
residents, "If you are confident enough to put appendicitis as the
reason for the CT on the requisition form, the patient just needs an
operation".

Doug

--
Douglas Geehan, M.D.