Appendicitis & CT

Douglas Geehan trauma-list@trauma.org
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:53:30 -0500

>  To say the use of all CTs in acute AP is wrong is an overstatement.
> Ron Simon
> Dir of Trauma
> Jacobi Medical Center

I would agree with this statement; howver, we have been discussing the
use of CT for appendicitis (kind of neat since we're on the trauma-L; I
guess that answers the question about segregated trauma/ gen surgery
call...) specifically.  My personal view is that you request a CT when
you think the patient does not have appendicitis.  As I tell my
residents, "If you are confident enough to put appendicitis as the
reason for the CT on the requisition form, the patient just needs an

Douglas Geehan, M.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Surgery
University of Missouri-Kansas City