Pre-hospital Primary Survey

Jeff Brosius trauma-list@trauma.org
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:01:03 -0400

For whatever it may be worth, here's how I approach a trauma victim,
step-by-step.  Understand that this will probably grate every last nerve of
some of our list members (Drs. McSwain, Salomone, etc.)

1) Any danger to me, my partner, or anyone else?
2) Look for the overall mechanism.  Keep this in the back of my mind, but
do NOT let it be the overriding factor in the equation.)
3)  Walk in, slowly.  Any danger to me or crew?  If not, then look at the
patient.
4) Any blood on the ground?  If lots, then time to go to the ER.  Fix what
I can enroute.
5) Can he/she talk? If not, time to go to the ER.  Fix what I can enroute.
6) If not talking, look at airway.  If talking, can he/she breathe?
7) If breathing, rate/rhythm/quality?  Any of these abnormal, then it's
time to go to the ER.  I'll fix any problems enroute.
8) If breathing normal, check the skin and radial pulse.  If either is
abnormal, time to go, and fix enroute.
9) If talking, breathing, pulsing, and not bleeding, then move on....
thorough exam, provide treatment when appropriate, and transport.

To the prehospital provider, useless informations includes the
following:  Blood Pressure, past medical history, medication allergies,
social history (to include EtOH/Substance/etc.,) and ECG monitoring.

As a general rule, a decent medic should have a fairly good overview of the
patient condition within 60 seconds of entering the doorway (i.e. "Damn,"
or "Crap.")

Best,

Jeff Brosius
Paramedic, etc.
Atlanta, GA
brosius@prehospitalperspective.com
http://www.prehospitalperspective.com
"...deliver them that are drawn unto death."
Proverbs 24:11 (NIV)