unprofessional behavior in surgeons

Sun, 13 Apr 2003 18:28:11 EDT

--part1_1df.6a32822.2bcb3e7b_boundary

In a message dated 13-Apr-03 13:38:49 Central Daylight Time,
mmcbridemd@yahoo.com writes:

> Each year, in escalating amounts, we lose the most talented, hardworking
> applicants to the surgical subspeciaties. Not because general surgery isn't
> the most engaging work - they readily admit that it is - but rather because
> they wish to avoid working with the boorish personalities. So the
> competitive students escape to ENT, ortho, plastics...or to nonsurgical
> disciplines, and the program directors wail and gnash their teeth over the
> poor quality and low numbers of general surgery applicants. Meanwhile, many
> historically strong university surgery programs go unfilled or fill during
> the scramble with IMG applicants.

Dr. Thompson and I go aways back on this subject...back when we were interns,
there were two openings in the Surgical Program of LSU Shreveport Medical
Center...both of us had finished rotating internships at one of the LSU
satellite programs, including 3 months on surgical services, three months on
medicine, and two or three months each on Peds and OB (Errington got the
shorter stays, and had two months of electives, which he took in surgical
rotations).

Despite the fact that both of us had done well in our internships and had *at
least* 6 months of Surgical related experience at that time, we were told
that we would have to do another *full year* as interns if we wanted to be in
the program. ET was willing to go back through the hassle, but I was
not...especially after meeting several folks who proudly proclaimed that "the
only problem with being on call every other weekend is that you miss half the
good cases."

>From talking to some of the folks who trained under him, he managed to
overcome that kind of attitudinal training, and was considered 'almost
human'....(Sorry, ET, couldn't pass up the chance...)

ck
Charles S. Krin, DO
KC5EVN

--part1_1df.6a32822.2bcb3e7b_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  COLOR=3D"#408080" SIZE=3D3 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial Greek" LANG=3D"0"><B><I>In a message dated 13-A=
pr-03 13:38:49 Central Daylight Time, mmcbridemd@yahoo.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000"=
 style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"A=
rial" LANG=3D"0"></I>Each year, in escalating amounts, we lose the most tale=
nted, hardworking applicants to the surgical subspeciaties. Not because gene=
ral surgery isn't the most engaging work - they readily admit that it is - b=
ut rather because they wish to avoid working with the boorish personalities.=
 So the competitive students escape to ENT, ortho, plastics...or to nonsurgi=
cal disciplines, and the program directors wail and gnash their teeth over t=
he poor quality and low numbers of general surgery applicants. Meanwhile, ma=
ny historically strong university surgery programs go unfilled or fill durin=
g the scramble with IMG applicants. </BLOCKQUOTE></B><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#408080" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D3=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial Greek" LANG=3D"0"><B><I><BR>
Dr. Thompson and I go aways back on this subject...back when we were interns=
, there were two openings in the Surgical Program of LSU Shreveport Medical=20=
Center...both of us had finished rotating internships at one of the LSU sate=
llite programs, including 3 months on surgical services, three months on med=
icine, and two or three months each on Peds and OB (Errington got the shorte=
r stays, and had two months of electives, which he took in surgical rotation=
s). <BR>
<BR>
Despite the fact that both of us had done well in our internships and had *a=
t least* 6 months of Surgical related experience at that time, we were told=20=
that we would have to do another *full year* as interns if we wanted to be i=
n the program. ET was willing to go back through the hassle, but I was not..=
.especially after meeting several folks who proudly proclaimed that "the onl=
y problem with being on call every other weekend is that you miss half the g=
ood cases."<BR>
<BR>
>From talking to some of the folks who trained under him, he managed to overc=
ome that kind of attitudinal training, and was considered 'almost human'....=
(Sorry, ET, couldn't pass up the chance...)<BR>
<BR>
ck<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"></B></I>Charles S. Krin, DO<=

KC5EVN</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1df.6a32822.2bcb3e7b_boundary--