Opiates & the Acute Abdomen

caesar ursic trauma-list@trauma.org
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 09:43:48 -0700 (PDT)

Well said.  But I'll play devil's advocate here and
counter with the following:

"While pain relief is indeed a vital imperative, an
equal if not greater one is the prompt and accurate
diagnosis and treatment of the patient's underlying
condition."

Thus, if the adminstration of an opiate could
potentially and significantly impede such
diagnosis/therapy, its administration to the patient
with a potential acute abdomen should be closely
studied before proclaiming that it has no significant
effect. The burden of proof might therefore be
transferred to those who propose using opiates.

N.B.: I'm not saying that pain relief and accurate
diagnosis/therapy are mutually exclusive imperatives;
I am saying that most the data that claim that the
former does not adversly affect the latter isn't very
convincing due to the study designs used.

C.M. Ursic, M.D.
Dept. of Surgery
UCSF-East Bay
Oakland, California