Opiates & the Acute Abdomen

Sat, 12 Apr 2003 07:08:01 EDT

--part1_144.ef1c4d3.2bc94d91_boundary

In a message dated 4/12/2003 12:53:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
cmursic@yahoo.com writes:

> And I base this opinion on
> the methodology used, which allowed for the examining
> doctors to examine each patient before AND after
> narcotics were given.  Think of the bias that
> introduces and how it differs from how we examine
> patients in real life - i.e we don't have the benefit

Oh--and a telephone survey of 5 questions to 60 ER docs is somehow more
scientifically rigid, more realistically attuned with how we examine patients
in real life??????  I get the feeling, Caesar, that you are going to beleive
what you want to believe, what your heart and mind are already set upon, no
matter what.  And--there is plenty of room for doing just that with the scant
firm data in existence on this issue.  But don't try to make your clear bias
the right one, and everyone else's wrong, using pseudoscience to make it seem
more valid--just admit to yourself that is what your opinion is, everyone
else be damned.
"There are two groups of surgeons--those who see what they believe, and those
who believe what they see"-----Owen Wangensteen
ERF

--part1_144.ef1c4d3.2bc94d91_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 4/12/2003 12:53:16 AM Eastern Dayli=
ght Time, cmursic@yahoo.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">And I base this opinion on<BR>
the methodology used, which allowed for the examining<BR>
doctors to examine each patient before AND after<BR>
narcotics were given.&nbsp; Think of the bias that<BR>
introduces and how it differs from how we examine<BR>
patients in real life - i.e we don't have the benefit</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Oh--and a telephone survey of 5 questions to 60 ER docs is somehow more scie=
ntifically rigid, more realistically attuned with how we examine patients in=
 real life??????&nbsp; I get the feeling, Caesar, that you are going to bele=
ive what you want to believe, what your heart and mind are already set upon,=
 no matter what.&nbsp; And--there is plenty of room for doing just that with=
 the scant firm data in existence on this issue.&nbsp; But don't try to make=
 your clear bias the right one, and everyone else's wrong, using pseudoscien=
ce to make it seem more valid--just admit to yourself that is what your opin=
ion is, everyone else be damned.<BR>
"There are two groups of surgeons--those who see what they believe, and thos=
e who believe what they see"-----Owen Wangensteen<BR>
ERF</FONT></HTML>

--part1_144.ef1c4d3.2bc94d91_boundary--