Opiates & the Acute Abdomen

Martyn Hodson trauma-list@trauma.org
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 02:13:39 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Errington Thompson" <ecthompson@msn.com>
To: <trauma-list@trauma.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2003 12:06 AM
Subject: RE: Opiates & the Acute Abdomen

> Dr.John -
>
> You're 100% correct.  An accurate gauge of a patients pain level would
gain
> the investor a Noble prize.  It would pervent unnecessary pain meds and
curb
> under treatment.  I have mentioned that this is one of the biggest
problems
> in medicine and I don't see a solution any time soon.

you have missed a very important point here

pain is a subjective  experience, there is no way to change this, to suggest
otherwise smacks of arrogance and a deity like belief in your own powers

there is no such thing as 'unnecessary ' pain meds until you reach the point
where the effectiveness of the analgesia  is  being  countered by concerns
over the side effect profile of the pain med, - go and find someone who
works in palliative care and  see what they tell you about the issues
surrounding the maximum dosages they give of morphine or other opiates.

under treatment is a symptom of two things

1. overly stoic patients

2 the politics of drug prescription and administration  ( the what, when .
who , how , this involves ,legislators, managers , Docs, Nurses, pharmacists
...)

---